If you're like me, you might work somewhere that uses InVision for prototyping apps and websites. It integrates with Sketch through a tool called InVision Sync. This tool can solve a lot of workflow issues when uploading screens, but sometimes has its issues. In the past week, I've had some major problems with one of my projects at work. When I turned to the InVision documentation to figure out how to resolve syncing issues, there were no definite answers. I also had great difficultly finding solutions by Google searching. I want to document some measures you can take to get your project back up and running smoothly as soon as possible.
1) Manually Save in Sketch
Auto Save is pretty awesome, but sometimes it sends too much info to the Sync client at once and confuses it (or at least that's what it feels like). A good ol' Command (⌘) + S will occasionally get the message across and get the sync going.
2) Pause & Resume Syncing
Sometimes simply going to the InVision options, clicking "Pause Syncing," waiting 10-20 seconds, and then clicking "Resume Syncing" will do the trick.
3) Log Out and Back In
If the pause/resume method won't work, this slightly more extreme method can fix it.
4) Quit InVision Sync, Then Reopen
Sometimes this will initialize the gloriously successful file sync you have been looking for your whole life.
What to do Next
If none of the above solves the problem, you might be suffering from what the InVision documentation refers to as a "broken sync." From what I have read, once you get your project here, you can't do anything to fix it.
This is not true though. This is not the end of the road. Your project can be saved. Stay calm.
5) Rebuilding the project
If you think you are suffering from a broken sync, here's how to fix it:
- Save your Sketch file locally. Make sure you take the "Assets" folder too if you got anything important in there.
- Go to InVision and archive the old prototype, you don't want to mix it up with the new one.
- Create a new project and give it a new name. Probably not a good idea to name it the same as your broken project.
- Once your project is created, there should be a new empty project folder in your InVision folder on Finder.
- Then you can move over your files you saved locally. Be careful though, losing the file structure in that folder can break your sync again.
- After that, you should start seeing your screens appear on your InVision project in the browser.
- Unfortunately, there is no way to transfer your old links and transitions. You have to go back and manually re-create them.
- You should be back up and running after this! Happy prototyping